04 October 2007

Rant: outboard repair shops

So quite a while back I bought my little 4hp Mercury Mariner along with an Avon 3.15 for about $800 total. Killer deal as far as I was concerned and I still think that. We've never really had occasion to use the outboard, but the PO showed me that it ran, and was still peeing properly when I bought it. So, months go by, we still never use the outboard, but we want to take it with us on a trip attached to the Avon. I go to do some basic checks on it before bringing it to the marina, and I notice that it leaks gas from what I think is the carb float when I tilt it forward on the stand. Last thing I want is it dripping gas the whole time it's being towed behind the boat, so I decide to take it to a shop to have it repaired.

I call the shop up, and I have to make an appointment to bring it in for about a week later. This particular shop was chosen because it's close to my office and I was impressed by the number of course completion certificates on their wall when I'd been in there before. I'm surprised by the need to make an appointment but figure they've just got their bookkeeping in good order and they know they'll have time free to work on the engine when I get it there.

I was wrong...

When I dropped it off, the guy who helped me get it out of my truck said it should be done by "early to mid next week", "unless you're in a hurry?". I thought, nah, don't need it right away, next week is fine & told the guy so. Second mistake (first was bringing it there in the first place).

A week later I call them up asking about it: "let me see if I can find the work order..." "it doesn't look like the guys have gotten to it yet, is next week OK?" Sure.

A week+ later, I go by to pick it up assuming that it's long since been done. "who told you that it was done?" "well, they must not have checked the schedule, we only ordered parts for it a couple of days ago" You mean 8 days after I brought it in was the first time you even looked at it?

A bit less than a week later, I call again about it: "we ordered parts for it last week, they'll be here tomorrow, and your engine should be done that afternoon" So I go by the following afternoon... "who called you to let you know it was done?" No one, I was told yesterday that it'd be done today. "who told you that?" The guy I think is the owner strolls out of the back and says "probably me". He's apologetic, says the parts haven't come in, and he's short of mechanics, but it'll "definitely be done by early next week"

So I called yesterday and spoke to a receptionist..."it looks like we ordered parts for it a while back"...yes, more than two weeks ago... "did anyone call you to say it was done?" No, your owner told me it'd be done "early this week". "Oh, well, I don't know what the status is" You've had it for a month, it's probably covered in spider webs. "well would you like me to find out more for you" YES "OK, I'll do that & get right back to you"

That was yesterday afternoon, still waiting for that call...


Grrrrr

No comments: