13 September 2007

A short rant...

Last night on my way home from work I got a call from Rita asking if I'd pick up some KFC. I'm not a big fan of their food, but occasionally it's nice, and they do make pretty good coleslaw & half decent baked beans. Their chicken is so-so, certainly not like it used to be when I was a kid when it was still run by Colonel Sanders. I seem to remember at some point after he was bought out and his recipes monkeyed with, the colonel described the food as tasting like cardboard, but I can't find a citation.

Anyway, I'd been to this KFC before, and was far less than impressed. The place is a dump, the dining area is a sty, the employees seem to wander around in a daze, and the guy I assume is the manager looks like a sloppier version of a low end biker wannabe, except with fewer teeth and lower hygiene standards. It had been months & months since I've been there last, and they were still in business, so I thought maybe things had changed.

I was wrong.

The staff looked "rode hard & put up wet", there was food scattered over about half the tables, including a couple of tables that had most likely had children at them judging by the puddles of milk & soda all over the tables, the benches and the floors. This is supposedly a fast food place, but they've lost the meaning of this. It took about twenty minutes for my order to be filled, after I'd waited in line for another ten or so. It wasn't like they were cooking anything (in fact the only person in there who looked like he knew what he was doing was the guy cooking the chicken), they just dragged their feet going anywhere. The little old lady who was putting together orders apologized to each customer for the long wait as she gave them their food. Also there was a prominent sign on the woman's bathroom that the light didn't work, how hard to change a light bulb, or call an electrician?

Once the food is delivered, it goes into poorly designed foam trays with plastic lids. The lids don't fit well onto the foam trays, and simply pop off. The tray bottomss don't nest into the top of the lids, so they don't stack well, and simply slide off of each other making it treacherous to try & get them home w/o taking them out of the bag and putting them side by side on the floor somewhere.

At least they still make decent biscuits.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is way too late ( 8 months late ! ) but I am starting to get the hang of blogging to stay one step ahead of my son, Qeeran who has just started his blog recently.

We too are VER VERY dissapointed with the KFC here in Melbourne. The chicken are just not tender, the queues are LONGGG...........and we have never once found a table clean enough to sit at to have our meal. We often try to make do with the cleanest one we could find, then halfway through decide we have to pack up and go finish our meal at a park bench. There were just too many flies - and we are not talking of one particular outlet...it's eveyone we've been too!

Thing is , matter how many times we said it, we would still pop back into one, hoping this outlet could be different.

Malaysian KFC is still the best, at least most Malaysians here think.