05 September 2007

The emergency Coke

Rita's a very organized person, she's a "place for all things and all things in their place" kind of person. I, on the other hand, am a slob, and my organizational strategy is to find things where I last used or put them. This drives her crazy, and I try to accommodate her, but am doomed to failure, our brains are just wired differently. When I deliberately put something somewhere, that's where I expect to find it next. The problem comes when her organization strategy overwhelms mine.

A bit of history: pretty much since I've started the job I'm in now, she's been getting up to make me lunch & tea for my drive in. When I worked at Microsoft she never did this, but I think she has taken pity on me having to get up at zero-dark-thirty each morning so I can be at work by 06:30 (fortunately this is generally only four days a week). When I went to work in the mornings at MSFT, I'd generally drink a Coke on my way in, and she'd rarely be up for the event. The tea she's been making me is much more preferable, but on the occasion when she doesn't get up (like this morning), I'll still grab a Coke on my way out and drink it while driving in.

To me, Coke can be the nectar of the gods, just the thing to get me going, quench my thirst, and get my blood sugar levels up, with a bit of caffeine as a kicker. If you know how sometimes a Coke is the only thing that'll work when you've over-indulged the night before, you know what I'm talking about.

To this end, I try to keep an "emergency Coke" secreted away in our drinks fridge. I put one in the little bottom tray for when I've managed to wipe out the rest of the supply in main part of the fridge, I'll still have one left for "emergencies" like this morning, when I didn't have tea to drink on the way in.

I've noticed that my emergency Coke has disappeared on other occasions, but I just figured that she'd drunk it, no big deal, I'd just put another one back there the next time I load up the fridge with Coke. However, now I suspect that it's not her drinking them, it's her removing them from "her" drink area and putting them where they're "supposed" to be. She keeps root beer, ginger ale & other drinks that she likes down there, and I think having an interloping Coke offends her sense of order, so she takes it out and puts it up in the regular area for Cokes, where I happily drink it without realizing that I've just consumed my emergency Coke, because once up in the main part of the fridge, it's perfectly camouflaged as a regular Coke.

No comments: