02 September 2007

Rant: How hard can it be to turn off a fan?

The office I work in shares a single bathroom for about a dozen people. There's also a shower room that folks use when they ride their bikes in or go running or whatever. Both of these rooms share a single exhaust ventfan. For some reason, the noise of the exhaust fan just drives me nuts. I've actually moved my desk once to get further away from it, but it's still there. I'm not sure what it is about this particular fan, most don't seem to bother me. I spent five years in the USN as an electrician's mate, and quickly learned that on board ship, the sound of running fans meant that the generators were up and running, no sounds of running fans (otherwise known as silence) indicated a long, generally bad, day for the EM shop. You'd wake up in the middle of the night to some new noise, but if you heard fans, you knew you were probably good to go back to sleep. If you didn't hear fans, you might as well get up and head to the shop, there was work to do. But in general, hearing fans running meant things were going well. That was then...

Anyway, there are several culprits at work who seem incapable of turning off the fan after they use the bathroom. Others are more considerate, and leave the switches in the same position they found them, off. Fortunately, one of the worst offenders spends the majority of his time in the field, so after the start of day, I don't have to deal with him. The other worst offender is an office puke like me, and I find myself getting up several times a day to turn the switch off after him.

So, you're sitting there wondering why I just don't say something? Well, it seems like a petty thing to be upset about, even if it does drive me crazy. Plus some of my coworkers have noticed my habit of turning off the switch every time I walk by and have figured it out for themselves w/o having to be asked.

Oh, and the kicker? I assume that the folks who leave the fan on also presume that they're doing any subsequent user's olfactory glands a favor by venting any noxious odors they may have left behind. However, where does the vent fan vent? Into the office space behind me. So all they're doing is redistributing their funk into the office, not out of it as you'd expect. At least the guys who occupy those offices spend the majority of their time out in the field so it's not like they're being bombarded by the funk.

No comments: